Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Neutral not Drab

As it often does here in Houston, it rained today. The chill in the air made me reach for a sweater…this long sweater from XXI.  (I love it. It makes me want to curl up and read a book) I pulled on jeans and leather boots to complete the look.  As you can see, I kept it casual for the rain.  I knew I’d be in the office all day, so I wanted to be comfy.


I knew as I walked out the door that my mood and my outfit matched the day….cloudy. I didn’t have high expectations. I grabbed a hat to keep my head dry.


I opened my day at the office with a grande soy chai all over my desk…thank goodness, I saved the laptop from drowning, but several papers and sticky notes were lost in the tragedy.  An hour into my day, and I have yet to do anything productive. (I did notice my sweater matched the chai…nice)


I had work to do, matters to address; yet no certain definable energy, or lack thereof, to note.  My day was neutral, like my outfit, although I won’t call it drab. I got some things taken care of….I was comfortable…what more can a girl ask for when she’s inside all day hiding from the rain?  Did my outfit cause me to spill the chai? No.  Did my outfit launch me into stardom? No. 

The key to wearing neutrals is to mix it up…you can wear any neutral colors together. All browns or all grays can be boring if you don’t accessorize well.  I put an olive green tank, ‘chai’ colored sweater, jeans and brown boots with my brown & black hat and gold jewelry.  My color pallet was neutral, but the shape of the sweater took center stage.  It’s not boring, but it’s neutral.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm in jeans and a sweater, too...actually a sweater you got for me. Love the look and get lots of compliments on it! Thanks for all your help!

    ReplyDelete