Monday, January 30, 2012

Petite Print

Being very petite, I am challenged when I dress myself.  I want to look like a woman, not a child.  I want to make my body look longer & leaner. But, I just want to wear what I want to wear! 

Today, I wanted to wear a something that made a statement…something that jazzed up my Monday. I knew I was facing a FULL day, with meetings, work tasks, and personal errands I needed to juggle.  Coming off a great weekend, I felt energized and ready to face the day.  I tried on one tunic which did not make me smile…in fact, I heard a faint sound which sounded like it may have been 'hell no’ from my mirror. (It ended up in my ‘donate’ pile).  Then, I saw it….calling to me from my clothes rack: the zebra dress.  I put it on and felt my mood instantly elevate. This was it.

I have never worn this dress, I think because of the print. I like print. I really like animal print…but like I said, I’m petite.  Something like this can be overwhelming.  It wasn’t once I was all dressed.  Leggings, knee high boots, a lightweight scarf and simple jewelry completed my look.  It was black & white, crisp yet playful, and comfortable. I got several things checked off my To Do List, feeling individual and striking (like a zebra), all the while. 


Tip: The key to wearing prints on a small frame is proportion. You want to keep the print small, like you, and rather simple….not too busy.  The second challenge is always dress length.  I am 5’0”.  Skirts should hit above my knees to extend the leg, and if I wear tights/leggings, they should match my shoes, for a lengthening affect.  And, as always, heels make you taller, and make clothes look better!
As for animal prints, (please) watch the cut of the garment.  A modest cut makes this dress work. If it were cut really sexy or revealing, I could end up looking like a streetwalker.  Remember, it’s all about balance.

Additional Tip: On the contrary to the petite advice, more ample sizes should go for larger prints, and let skirts hit at the knee or just below, depending on height.  

1 comment:

  1. Good advice! I'll have to remember that when I'm looking for prints. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete