Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Not Your Grandma's Dress...

This is one colorful outfit! It is not your grandma’s dress.  An abstract art print dress, a cobalt skinny belt, black tights and yellow shoes…now that’s an outfit.  It was a cloudy day, and it has been raining so much, I needed a punch of color.
The black tights against the bright dress and mustard yellow shoes just made my heart sing!  I love the look of black tights against a non-black shoe.  (Like I said, not your grandma’s dress…back in the day, you weren’t suppose to wear tights darker than your shoes.  It’s a trend I am just loving these days. Quirky.  Modern.  Delicious.)    I kept accessories simple, as I often do, with one big gold disc ring.  The dress made enough of a statement all on its own.
I threw on a long black open cardigan when I got chilly at dinner with my family. If you’re looking for ways to transition from winter to spring, try adding a chunky sweater over lighter weight dresses when it’s still chilly out. Use the spring colors, and ground them with winter (black or other dark colored) tights, jackets or other pieces. Mixing textures and fabric weights is a perfect way to slowly bring spring into your wardrobe, yet still be temperature appropriate.




My actual outfit: Dress: Rachel Roy ($120), Belt: Ann Taylor, Shoes: J Crew ($90 on sale)

3 comments: